Friday, 10 February 2017

Week 5 Diet

I've decided that I need to be scientific.  Just reducing calories is not working for me.  I need to understand my metabolism.  I need to increase my metabolism.  I don't have time or wherewithal for exercise to increase my metabolism. I don't like my metabolism.   My knees and my metabolism and exercise  don't get along.   Not even yoga!  Walking is it but I do walk 10, 000 steps a day.  S health tells me I do. Do you know S Health?  It's a rude intrusion into my life from my Samsung phone.  Although we have become friends since it told me that I walk more than most of its customers and far more than my age group.  But S Health tells me that 1800 calories will maintain my weight so anything under means weight loss,  except it doesn't. As S Health knows all my details, because it's nosy, (age,  sex and exercise ) it should calculate a realistic metabolic rate.  I therefore conclude I need to get my rate up to the 1800 it predicts it should be for my age, height and level of exercise, which it calls moderate.

Monday to Wednesday last week I ate 900 calories a day to try to crash into weight loss.  Then on  Thursday and Friday  I upped my intake to 1300, including a cheeky Pinot with a colleague who had a birthday celebration  (60).  I also ate carbs.  Cold ones.  Why?  Take a look at this. https://authoritynutrition.com/resistant-starch-101/

At the weekend I went back to 900 calories for two days. I lost 1 1/4 pounds. As 1 pound is 3500 calories  the maths suggests that my metabolic rate is about 1500.  Now I need to increase it......painlessly.

Have you ever tried calculating your metabolic rate?

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Anna, but you've not gained weight and you've lost weight too, so two good things came out of last week.
    No, I haven't considered calculating my MR as I didn't realise it was possible to put a number on it. A medical person once told me that I have an old fashioned body, built for famine. I guess that means I have the metabolic rate of a slug. I think a phone-owning slug might confuse Samsung so best for all if I avoid S Health and attempt old fashioned number crunching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried to calculate my MR rate, but I know that I sadly can't eat as many calories as my Fitbit tells me I can... We recently joined a gym, and I'm experimenting if heavier weights will make a difference. I already walk at least 10,000 steps a day and do yoga and barre classes several times a week. We'll see...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible soon.