Wednesday, 18 January 2017

The Cream Jumper and the Hash

Dear reader,  my blogger friend Mary is my older twin.  We have discovered not only do we have the same love for Clarks ankle boots but we both have  this cream jumper from M&S about 4 years old.   Mine was spotted by the astute Mary in an earlier post. Here are ways I have worn this during this winter.









 Mary also had worn hers in a post in May here.  She has snuggled up in a scarf for the beach and paired it with grey jeans.  (Mmmm Grey,  there's an idea!)  

Similarly and unusually it appears that we both use mashed potato for a Corned beef hash. Here is her recipe which she kindly posted for me as  soft braces food.  I made  her version on Saturday and served it method one, spooned on my potato. 

It was easy to eat and tasty. Very simple to make.  Thank you, Mary.


boiling the potatoes

cooking the onion and added water to make her 'sauce'

I found British corned beef in Waitrose.

served on top of the mashed potato and accompanied by out of date boodles






Now I give you in return Mr Him's corned beef hash recipe. Over to Mr Him (yes, he typed up the below for you with his very own fingers.)


Ingredients:

1 x tin of corned beef (I tend to use Fray Bentos, but whatever "floats your boat") 
4 x large potatoes.
1 x large sweet onion.
1 x tin of baked beans (I tend to use Heinz, but your choice).
3 x generous dashes of Worcester Sauce (Lee & Perrins is the one that I go for).
150 grams of grated cheese.
A large knob of butter.
A little olive oil.
Approximately 100 ml of milk.
Salt and pepper.

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.

Dice the onion and gently fry until soft.

Mash the corned beef, the baked beans, the onion and Worcester sauce together in an appropriately sized oven dish. You'll want it to be deep enough to accommodate all of the corned beef mix and an inch or so of mashed potato later.

Put the corned beef mix into the oven for 30 minutes.

Whilst the mix is in the oven, prepare the mashed potatoes. So, wash and peel the potatoes, then cut into moderate-sized chunks. Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until soft.

Drain the potatoes, and the milk and butter, then attack them with your trusted spud masher!

Remove the corned beef mix from the oven, and spread the mashed potato evenly over the top. At this point, you may wish to fork a pattern onto the top of the mash. Sprinkle the cheese onto the top of the mashed potato, and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.

Once cooked, you may wish to put this meal under a hot grill for about a minute in order to brown the cheese. Your choice!

This should provide enough for a generous helping for 4 people. Serve with your choice of vegetables or salad. Enjoy!

One word of warning though; You may wish to wait 5 minutes or so before eating once served, because I've burned the inside of my mouth on more than one occasion due to my enthusiasm...!!


There dear reader, you have two entirely different Corned beef Hash recipes.  Thank you, Mr Him

6 comments:

  1. Firstly, gotta say you look gorgeous in the jumper, jeans and boots. It's a lovely outfit. Secondly, Mr Him's way of doing the # sounds gorgeous, I'm gagging to try it that way!
    Hope eating is getting easier now.
    Hugs, your older twin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin, you must take your cream jumper back home after your next visit to Sussex and use it.

      Delete
  2. i always wonder how it feels to have a twin sibling !
    your outfit and boots are great !
    thank you for sharing the recipe ,sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be great to have a twin but maybe there would be some rivalry.

      Delete
  3. Corned beef and baked beans....mmm I think I've been an expat for too long. This sounds really strange to me. Great obviously if you have new braces.
    Like your blog/s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until I tried Mary's recipe I didn't have a comparison as my only corned beef hash experience was Mr Him's recipe.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible soon.