Sunday, 24 April 2016

Sweet and Sour, Muffins and signs of Spring

It's spring.  I know not from the weather but because dates have been replaced by rhubarb, Miss 21 has started entertaining her friends in the garden in the evening, 




Mr Him has planted petunias  and I've dried washing on the line. 


Miss 21 has found this light rose wine flavoured with berries which she serves her friends.  It's 9% alcohol and  tastes more fruit cocktail then wine.  Great for the younger generation who haven't developed wine taste buds yet. 



Mr Him and I opened this bottle  meanwhile that came in our Laithwaites delivery. 



On Saturday I cooked a wee bit of pork in the slow cooker.  Some of the supermarkets have a joint of pork going for  £5 at the moment.  An IG friend told me to merely take off the wrapping and drop the pork  in the slow cooker on low for 7 hours.  




The result is pork that will last a couple days for meals,  sandwiches,  pulled pork buns and the list goes on.  I popped it in the oven to brown for 15 minutes before serving.  I now have several meals worth in the freezer. 




I also used up some apple sauce by making apple sauce and raisin muffins.  I used the recipe that my  lovely IG and blog  friend SSG pointed me to here


As for the rhubarb, I've had a go at making a rhubarb sweet and sour sauce.  My ingredients were as follows:

3/4 cup of maple syrup
3/4 cup of sherry vinegar
3 cloves of garlic
one onion
5 stalks of rhubarb
a good dash of basil
a good dash of oregano
flakes of dried chilli to taste
one tin of chopped tomatoes

slice and dice and stew together for 10 minutes.  This is sharp so the quantity will probably do for a couple of  meals for 2 of us.  I may well add more syrup or sugar at the point of using this sauce.


Handily I have some pork that I can serve this upon.  



2 comments:

  1. Glad the muffin recipe worked!

    The slow cooked pork sounds brilliant. Next on my batch cooking list.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the slow cooker pork and with that yummy rhubarb sauce too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible soon.