Saturday, 20 February 2016

Houmous Cheat and Fishy Ideas

When we were in Greece a few years ago we ate a very creamy houmous that absolutely is not the same as the shop bought in plastic tubs that we get in the UK.  Apparently we can easily come up with a close replication of the Greek variety with a bit of kitchen wizardry. Simply mix 3 tablespoons of natural yogurt into the shop bought tub.  Below is the result, accessorized with genuine drips. Don't say my pics aren't real!  The toast is real too. 






 Miss 21 loves houmous and this week she has made healthy meals of tinned fish along with a variety of greenery, and houmous.  I think it would be a bit rich for me but she enjoyed it.



Tinned sardines in tomato sauce, plus avacado, brown bread, houmous on the side and lots of black pepper.  She doesn't recommend the fried egg.  (Just because she likes things seperately doesn't mean they combine well together) 



tinned mackerel (in brine,) layered on houmous and lettuce on toast with a side of  mushy peas  and again lots of black pepper.


In the meantime I tried  a few tinned anchovies on brown rice pasta and sliced fresh chilli. No houmous. 





To my mind you can't beat a good old fashioned fishfinger sandwich, with tomato ketchup,




or grilled salmon and roasted vegetables.

11 comments:

  1. Yes!! A good old fish finger sandwich is heaven. Jamie Oliver's range is available here as well and his fish fingers are it and a bit.

    Thanks for the houmous tip! Who knew?

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im going to look for those Jamie ones. They must be available in the UK. They are now on my Sainsbury's list. The houmous is lovely mixed with yogurt and lasts longer as you have so much more of it. Decadence.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the hummus idea to make it creamier! Nice food post, love all things food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ive eaten a fair bit of the houmous this week.

      Delete
  3. I like making my own hummus... thanks for the tip on making it creamier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its easy to make from scratch I know with chickpeas. I have done that before and probably will do in the summer.

      Delete
  4. You make me hungry!! Fab tip for the hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All looks so tasty! I dislike egg and hummus, but even they looked nice ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. All looks so tasty! I dislike egg and hummus, but even they looked nice ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible soon.