Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Coconut Oil Beware

Do you use coconut oil?  I've been tempted by blogs, magazines, supermarket shelves and friends.  The bombardment was unabated and eventually I bought a jar.  I have used it as instructed by a Romanian friend who 'uses it for everything,' and has promised to get me an enormous jar from Costco.  With my little jar I have used teaspoonfuls in my cereal, cooked roasted sweet potatoes with it and even eaten a spoonful, on her recommendation I add.  

It was all so tempting to go that bit further. My birthday,  my gorgeousness to be achieved, lots of social activities and hair full of oomph, shine and bounce.  A shampoo advert swing of golden locks ahead of me. Yes, I succumbed to the hype of the blogosphere and my Romanian friend.  I smothered my hair in coconut oil on Saturday morning in readiness for my hair to sashay on my head for the rest of the weekend.  Did it?  No!

After washing it twice it dried as limp as Mr Him's excuses. I tried sprucing it up with hairspray and back-combing and just ended up looking like my mother.  I asked begged Mr Him for reassuring soothing comments like 'it's fine' or 'I don't know what you're talking about.' Did he soothe my fears?  Did he heck!. Instead he entirely agreed with me.  

Saturday night with family at the pub saw me look every bit age old. Sunday saw my hair flat and dull and looking a ruined souffle.

On Monday I washed it again and, wow.  It's alive, vibrant, gleaming, thick, full.  I can't stop running my hands through  and twirling it around my fingers which is annoying colleagues, especially when I ask them to have a go.

The vote for coconut oil on the hair is yes but on a weekend when you have absolutely nothing planned. 



Meanwhile don't forget to visit my Fun Blog here and add it to your follow list.

4 comments:

  1. Anna, we lead parallel lives. I have a large jar of coconut oil on my kitchen bench right now. Of course, being in the middle of a heat wave here, it's gone to liquid all on its own.

    I had visions of using it to take my make up off. Wonder if my skin will go through a phase like your hair did over the weekend? Will only try on Friday night then.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to summer when mine turns to liquid. It may mean I'd use less and be more hair friendly. I put it on my face too at the same time. Not sure it did much but at least it didn't make my face limp! My hair is still good today and a colleague agreed it has bounce. Thats a good thing.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't put it in my hair, sounds messy, but my sister puts it on toast for my mom, it's supposed to help memory she is thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that benefit, not yet. No doubt my Romanian friend has. I'll check that out.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible soon.